In-House Counsel, Environmental Lawyer Job in Calgary, Canada
We are working with a highly successful company known for its commitment to environmental stewardship.
This is an excellent opportunity for a talented lawyer to join a well-established, highly successful company offering challenging and dynamic work, a flexible benefits program, and a competitive compensation package.
Job Description – In-House Counsel, Environmental Lawyer
Our client is seeking a passionate Environmental Lawyer who enjoys working in a collaborative, innovative environment. Through their commitment to environmental protection, the company takes pride in its focus on safety and responsibility.
Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, Regulatory, Litigation & Environmental, the In- House Counsel, Environmental will serve as a member of the Legal and Joint Venture Team and will assist with managing risk by providing advice on environmental-related matters.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Assist with providing advice on all aspects of Environmental regulation.
- Support the Associate General Counsel, Regulatory, Litigation & Environmental on environmental matters.
- Work with internal stakeholders to understand legal requirements relating to litigation holds, e-discovery, document retention, and contract management policies and processes.
- Assist with environmental matters in both Canada and the US.
- Identify and manage external legal counsel relationships.
- Oversee legal reviews and successfully collaborate with internal and external parties.
- Leverage technical expertise and analytical skills to manage complex legal issues.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 4+ years of relevant environmental law experience.
- Knowledge of TCFD reporting, ESG governance, and/or transactional experience would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve complex matters.
- Team player with the ability to work with diverse, multi-disciplinary teams for a shared goal.
- Ability to effectively challenge other viewpoints and be accepting of having own viewpoint challenged by others.
- Superior negotiation, interpersonal, conflict resolution and both oral and written communication skills.
- Strong business acumen and commercial mindset.
- Growth mindset with the ability to drive change.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: