Executive General Legal Counsel Job in Toronto, Canada
The Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB) is one of the largest school boards in Canada and the largest Catholic school board in the world. The TCDSB serves over eighty-thousand students in more than 170 elementary schools and 30 secondary schools throughout Toronto and has an annual operating budget of approximately $1.2 billion.
TCDSB’s Catholic education system produces high levels of student achievement and enables students to fulfill Ontario’s Catholic Graduate Expectations. Further, graduates are taught the virtues and values of the Catholic faith including community, responsibility, accountability, collaboration, caring and family.
The TCDSB is committed to fairly and objectively recruiting and selecting leaders and staff who are excellent role models, innovative, and committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced lawyer to join an established, highly regarded organization committed to the well-being of its staff, students, and the community it serves.
Job Description – Executive General Legal Counsel
TCDSB is seeking to add an Executive General Legal Counsel to its senior leadership team in Toronto. Reporting to the Director of Education and Chief Executive Officer, the Executive General Legal Counsel will provide leadership, management, and oversight of all legal services, lawyers, and staff, as well as act as Legal Counsel to the TCDSB. As the ideal candidate, you will be a strategic thinker and self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Act as Legal Counsel to the TCDSB.
- Provide leadership, management, and oversight of all legal services, lawyers, and staff.
- Provide legal advice to School Principals and Senior Management on Safe Schools and Special Education matters.
- Provide legal advice on Education Act matters.
- Represent the Board in Education Act proceedings: Suspension Appeal, Expulsion, and Fresh Start hearings (School/Board Expulsions).
- Manage civil litigation.
- Manage litigation covered by OSBIE (the Board’s property and liability insurer)
- Responsible for Governance Policy review and development.
- Advise on TCDSB Operating By-law matters.
- Responsible for all privacy law matters, including appeals to the Privacy Commission under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and Freedom of Information requests.
- Support Archives and Records Management.
- Advise on Trustee and governance related matters.
- Advise on family law and custody matters.
- Review commercial contracts.
- Represent the Board on Ontario Human Rights Tribunal matters.
- Defend applications before the Child & Family Services Review Board.
- Represent the Board at IPRCs where parents are represented by Counsel and at Exclusion Appeals.
- Administer the Board’s third-party whistleblower program.
- Represent the Board on all residual legal matters.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- Minimum of 10 years related senior leadership experience.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Proven experience leading a team successfully.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal skills, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently while being an effective member of a team.
Consistent with the TCDSB’s Employment Equity Policy and Multi-Year Strategic Plan, the TCDSB is strongly committed to fostering and creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the stakeholders and communities we serve. As such, the Board welcomes and encourages applications from candidates who self-identify as visible minorities, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples, and women. You are invited to voluntarily indicate if you identify as one or more of the aforementioned communities. This information will be kept confidential.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: