Legal Counsel, Corporate Commercial in Calgary, Canada
As the largest school district in Western Canada, Calgary Board of Education (CBE) offers a depth and breadth of programs and supports to meet the unique learning needs and interests of an increasingly diverse population. They focus on personalizing the learning experience so that each student is engaged, inspired, and learning to their full potential. As a leader in education, CBE is value driven with a mission to have each student, in keeping with their individual abilities and gifts, complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
This is an excellent opportunity for a talented lawyer to make their mark by joining the largest school district in Western Canada.
Job Description – Legal Counsel, Corporate Commercial
Our client is seeking to add a Legal Counsel, Corporate Commercial to join its team in Calgary. Reporting to the General Counsel, the purpose of this job is to counsel to all levels of CBE including identifying and analyzing legal issues, drafting key documents, presenting clear recommendations, and assuring legal compliance.
As the ideal candidate, you will have between 3-6 years of broad experience in corporate/commercial law. Experience with privacy law is considered an asset and experience with public sector organizations or educational institutions is preferred but not required.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide timely, proactive and solution-oriented legal advice on a wide range of legal issues including corporate commercial matters, education law, privacy, real estate, intellectual property, administrative law, regulatory compliance, general litigation and other matters to all service units, CBE’s executive team, and the Board.
- Work closely with CBE service units and schools to identify, assess and evaluate legal outcomes of major decisions impacting the organization and to write legal opinions and memos which may require extensive research of statutes and regulations.
- Draft, review, negotiate and provide legal advice on complex agreements including commercial contracts, partnership agreements, software licenses, RFPs, RFQs and other documents as assigned.
- Coordinate with third parties including external counsel.
- Draft and review sensitive correspondence content for potential political/reputational ramifications.
- Gather required information, research the law and prepare reports, opinions, memos and legal documents. Write legal opinions in areas as assigned. Conduct statutory, regulatory or case law research as required.
- Under the direction of General Counsel, represent the CBE with public and outside agencies on legal matters concerning the CBE.
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations that apply to CBE.
- Represent the legal department on internal committees as assigned.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 3-6 years of experience in corporate/commercial law. Experience with privacy law is considered an asset. Experience with public sector organizations or educational institutions is preferable.
- Familiarity with the Education Act and legislation relating to the work of CBE is considered an asset.
- Strong understanding of corporate/commercial law. Experience in education law, privacy, real estate, intellectual property, administrative law and/or regulatory compliance is considered an asset.
- Successful track record of negotiating and drafting contracts, licenses and agreements.
- Superior written and legal research skills.
- Sound professional judgement and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work effectively under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative decision-making and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate complex legal issues and risks in terms that non-legal colleagues can understand.
- Ability to build and maintain strong professional relationships across the business.
- Confidence to interact with all levels within and outside CBE.
- Demonstrated professionalism and diplomacy in carrying out job responsibilities.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network, a Caldwell company is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: