Senior Legal Counsel in Mississauga/Vaughan, Canada
Alectra Inc. is one of Ontario’s leading electricity distribution and integrated energy solutions providers with over C$5.7 billion in assets and a workforce of more than 1600 employees. Alectra serves approximately one million customers across seventeen communities in the Greater Golden Horseshoe area. The Alectra family of companies includes Alectra Inc. (Mississauga), Alectra Utilities Corporation (Hamilton) and Alectra Energy Solutions (Vaughan). Its history is steeped in pioneering firsts, ground-breaking achievements, and memorable milestones that help guide and serve the energy needs of its customers. Alectra is committed to creating a future where people, businesses, and communities will benefit from energy’s full potential.
The electricity sector is seeing huge growth, evolution and innovation, and will continue to over the next number of years, as major industries shift more and more to electrification and decreasingly rely on natural gas. This is an excellent opportunity for a business-minded lawyer to take a leadership role and join a growing and dynamic company recognized for industry-leading work in an exciting, innovative and high-change sector.
Job Description – Senior Legal Counsel
Due to ongoing growth, Alectra is seeking a talented Senior Legal Counsel to join its dynamic team. Reporting to the General Counsel, the Senior Legal Counsel will primarily focus on the unregulated side of Alectra’s business (Alectra Energy Solutions), as well as provide support with procurement initiatives for the regulated side of Alectra’s business. Success in this position requires strategic and business acumen and strong leadership skills.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide legal support to Alectra’s unregulated business, Alectra Energy Solutions, including:
- contract development and review,
- M&A support,
- Project financing and structure,
- Strategy review,
- Real estate acquisitions, and
- Lease development.
- Work closely with a wide variety of business units, including IT, Procurement, Finance, Network Services and Operations, Customer Service, and the Energy Services and Solutions team.
- Manage, lead and mentor the lawyer(s) and staff who report into this position.
- Manage ongoing relationships with external counsel.
- Support the efforts and projects of the General Counsel as required.
- Attend the office on a hybrid basis (minimum 2 days a week).
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 10+ years of transaction and procurement experience at a top-tier law firm or company.
- Proven track record of navigating and supporting corporate transactions, financings, joint ventures, and strategic partnerships.
- Sound judgement, strong communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to evaluate and identify legal risk.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Strategic business acumen.
- Excellent ability to adapt, collaborate and work as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of the electricity sector and its associated regulatory environment would be considered an asset.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network, a Caldwell company is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
To apply for this position: caldwell.thriveapp.ly/job/1122