Chief Operating Officer in Toronto, Canada
Our client is a highly successful and progressive Canadian business law firm focused on strategic growth. The Firm features an innovative platform, exceptional support and resources, and a dynamic forward-thinking team.
This is an excellent opportunity for a results-driven leader passionate about driving revenue growth and operational excellence to join an entrepreneurial, growing, and successful firm.
Job Description – Chief Operating Officer
The Chief Operating Officer (“COO”) is a key leadership position responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations and strategic initiatives of the Firm and managing a high performing and collaborative team. Reporting directly to the Managing Partner, the COO will play a critical role in optimizing the Firm’s efficiency, effectiveness, and profitability while maintaining the commitment to delivering top-tier legal services to the Firm’s clients.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Managing Partner and senior leadership team to develop and execute the Firm’s strategic plans and goals.
- Provide strategic insights and recommendations to enhance the Firm’s competitive position and profitability.
- Drive innovative operational strategies to ensure the Firm remains at the forefront of the legal industry.
- Oversee all operational functions, including finance, IT, human resources, marketing, facilities management, and administrative services. Indirect responsibility for knowledge management and student and associate programs.
- Develop and implement efficient processes and procedures to improve workflow, productivity, and cost-effectiveness.
- Monitor key performance metrics and implement improvements to meet or exceed operational targets.
- Manage the Firm’s financial resources, including budgeting, forecasting, and reporting.
- Work closely with the finance team to analyze financial data and make informed decisions to drive profitability.
- Implement cost-control measures and identify opportunities for revenue growth.
- Oversee the Firm’s IT infrastructure, including software, hardware, and cybersecurity measures.
- Champion the adoption of technology solutions that enhance client service and operational efficiency.
- Safeguard client data and ensure compliance with privacy regulations.
- Collaborate with legal teams to maintain a client-centric approach and uphold the Firm’s reputation for outstanding client service.
- Implement systems to gather client feedback and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Professional CPA designation to ensure a thorough understanding of partnership financial matters, including asset, expense, and partner capital management.
- A relevant degree, such as a Bachelor’s or Master’s in business, law or a related field, would provide a solid foundation to help ensure success in the COO position.
- Proven experience in a senior leadership role within a legal firm or professional services organization.
- Strong financial acumen and the ability to develop and manage budgets effectively.
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire teams.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Canadian legal industry trends and regulations is an asset.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network, a Caldwell company is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
416.364.6654 / 604.643.1708