Director, Legal Lawyer in Toronto, Canada
We are working with an entrepreneurial, growing, and successful company in the financial services sector that prides itself on its people and purpose-focused inclusive environment. With a strong commitment to growth and diversity and inclusion, the company is poised for continued expansion and innovation.
This is an incredible opportunity for a talented lawyer to join an excellent organization offering a collaborative and innovative work environment.
Job Description – Director, Legal
Due to ongoing growth, our client is seeking a Director, Legal to join its team in Toronto. The successful candidate will support the Vice-President, Legal in the fulfillment of legal tasks including contract negotiation, review and drafting, risk identification and mitigation, legal research, and the evaluation, development and execution of strategic business opportunities and transactions.
Success in this position requires the experience and capability to handle a broad range of legal, compliance and transactional matters, as well as to provide leadership within the organization.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Support the Vice-President in identifying legal, regulatory and compliance requirements and risks associated with business initiatives and developing and implementing appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a wide range of agreements with vendors and other third parties, including data licenses, services agreements, software and intellectual property agreements and other complex commercial agreements.
- Collaborate with business units on company-wide projects and initiatives.
- Research and respond to general legal inquiries from internal clients that relate to corporate, litigation, strategy, intellectual property, and compliance matters, including CASL and privacy-related matters, and advise business on appropriate legal action to be taken.
- Provide practical and insightful business and strategic advice, leveraging experience in the practice of law and the legal profession.
- Supervise senior legal counsel and act as a leader within the legal team and organization as a whole.
- Assist the business with mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures.
- Provide pre-litigation advice and supervise ongoing litigation.
- Coordinate legal matters handled by outside counsel.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- Minimum 6 years post-call experience in private practice and/or as in-house corporate legal counsel.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills, business acumen, and common sense.
- Ability to take initiative and a practical approach to the law.
- Solid experience in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, including vendor agreements.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively and to identify and resolve legal issues.
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment and ability to build rapport and trust with a wide variety of both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to juggle multiple matters at once and work independently in a fast-paced environment and prioritize accordingly.
- Ability to exercise good judgement on when to seek help and where to find appropriate resources to solve problems.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: