In-House General Counsel Job in Vancouver, BC Canada
Seaspan Corporation (NYSE: SSW) is the world’s largest financial lessor in the containership leasing space with a $7B+ balance sheet. Seaspan provides many of the world’s major shipping lines with alternatives to vessel ownership by offering long-term leases on large, modern containerships combined with industry leading ship management services.
Job Description – In-House General Counsel Job
Seaspan has an immediate opening for an In-House General Counsel to join their executive leadership team in their Vancouver office. The General Counsel will have primary responsibility for all legal matters, as well as direct internal and external legal resources to provide timely support to operational and functional groups, the executive team, and the Board of Directors.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities for In-House General Counsel
- Act as corporate secretary for the public company and the group of private companies related to Seaspan Ship Management Ltd.
- Coordinate the legal aspects of major transactions, including but not limited to acquisitions, divestitures, partnerships or joint ventures, financings, and offerings of securities (public and privately placed).
- Share responsibility with other company officers to ensure compliance with all regulatory regimes, including anti-bribery, sanctions and SEC compliance, and reporting to the Board of Directors.
- Participate as part of the executive team in company strategy and policy.
- Ensure company’s legal obligations are fulfilled, particularly around debt covenants, new build agreements, and credit facilities.
- Assign legal resources to work with the operations departments on maritime matters, including insurance, vessel registration, regulatory, and environmental compliance as required; provide oversight on maritime claims.
- Prepare and oversee filings with US Securities Commission and New York Stock Exchange, including annual reports, proxy materials for shareholder meetings, and quarterly financial filings.
- Manage a legal team including three lawyers, one paralegal, and one legal secretary.
- Engage external counsel as required.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- Minimum 10 years of broad commercial experience, including at least 5 years in an in-house environment.
- Proven track record of managing a team and working as a partner with functional line groups.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large and complex transactions across multiple jurisdictions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to develop and maintain internal and external client relationships.
- Working knowledge of US capital markets (debt and equity), securitized financing, and international maritime law and regulation would be considered an asset.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: