In-House Practice Advisor Lawyer Job in Calgary, Canada
The Law Society of Alberta is the self-governing body for Alberta’s lawyers with a mandate to regulate the profession in the public interest. As a regulator, the Law Society sets standards and enforces those standards for Alberta lawyers.
Job Description – In-House Practice Advisor Lawyer
The Law Society is seeking an In-House Practice Advisor Lawyer to join its Policy and Ethics team. The Practice Advisor program assists lawyers to practice in an ethical and professional manner and to provide better service to their clients and the justice system. If you are guided by a passion to protect the public interest and preserve the fundamental principles of justice, this position at the Law Society will appeal to you.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide practice advice to practitioners, students, and legal support staff on request; advice will be provided by telephone and email, and by circulating written practice support resources, although some work is completed face-to-face.
- Address issues relating to ethical and practice matters, practice management, stress-of-practice, career planning, career transitions, and inter-lawyer conflicts.
- Serve as an educational resource for the profession, the Law Society, and staff.
- Provide advice to Law Society staff and committees as required.
- Deliver presentations throughout Alberta and elsewhere as required (travel for this role is approximately 5%).
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 10+ years of practice experience with exposure to a variety of practice areas.
- Sound understanding of legal ethics and professional responsibility issues, a demonstrated ability to analyze problems and respond with pragmatic advice, and a solid reputation for professionalism and competence.
- Excellent time management, communication, leadership, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Strong working knowledge of dispute resolution techniques and the ability to effectively advise others.
- A desire to assist lawyers to succeed is critical.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: