Legal Counsel, Contracts Manager Lawyer in Calgary, Canada
**This opportunity is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
Schlumberger (SLB: NYSE) is a leading technology company that partners with customers to access energy. Schlumbergers’ team, representing over 160 nationalities, provides leading digital solutions and deploys innovative and ground-breaking technologies to enable performance and sustainability for the global energy industry. With expertise in more than 120 countries, Schlumberger partners with customers in close collaboration to create industry-changing technologies that unlock cleaner, safer access to energy for every community.
Offering an excellent benefits package and opportunities for advancement, this is a tremendous opportunity for a talented lawyer to join a leading technology innovator. This position offers a hybrid work arrangement.
Job Description – Legal Counsel, Contracts Manager Lawyer
Due to ongoing growth, Schlumberger is seeking a Legal Counsel, Contracts Manager to join its team. The Legal Counsel, Contracts Manager is a key management member of the Contracts Function. Responsibilities include the overall management of all customer contracts and wellsite subcontracts, oversight of supplier agreements of Canada, and the resolution of all contractual issues in accordance with the Schlumberger client contracts risk standard and/or supply chain contracts best practices.
The Legal Counsel, Contracts Manager works closely with management, sales & commercial, sourcing & procurement and within the legal departments to:
- manage the contracting process,
- ensure compliance with internal contracting standards and legal guidelines,
- set and achieve objectives which add value to the organization and its shareholders, and
- develop strategies to identify, manage and mitigate contractual risks in the assigned location/product line/category.
As the ideal candidate, you will have a minimum of four years’ experience in the related industry, including experience and/or exposure in operations, legal, contracts, or national law firms.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Own the customer contracts process from the moment the tender evaluation commences/ sourcing project launches up to the closure of the Contract.
- Participate in negotiation discussions with critical clients and/or vendors.
- Ensure and promote compliance with Schlumberger policies, standards, procedures, and contractual obligations.
- Negotiate and draft contracts for new ventures and business relationships outside the traditional client contract scope
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to understand contractual and commercial needs of project.
- Work flexibly to satisfy business needs while limiting and mitigating risks.
- Review and assess the liabilities present in customer contracts and subcontracts in order to provide expert advice to Schlumberger operations managers and management team, and assist to negotiate T&C.
- Collaborate with various internal departments such as Finance (including Tax), HSE, Sourcing & Procurement, Operations as appropriate, to ensure contractual and commercial risks and exposures are clearly identified, analyzed, and properly addressed in contractual provisions.
- Responsible for the supervision, management, orientation, and ongoing development of contracts personnel in the assigned location/product line/category.
- Provide legal and contractual support for contract performance assessments (CPA).
- Manage informal contract claims or disputes with the support of the Legal Department whenever necessary.
- Participate in contracts department strategic initiatives.
- Provide support, coaching and guidance to legal support centre contracts analysts, where applicable, and assist with their career development.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 3-5 years’ experience in the related industry including experience and/or exposure in operations, legal, contracts, or national law firms.
- Experience in negotiating complex commercial agreements.
- High level of collaboration with others.
- Excellent communication skill, both oral and written.
- Must have strong ethics in dealings with sensitive information.
- Ability to demonstrate principled leadership with sound business ethics and consistency with principles, values, and behavior.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: