Legal Counsel in Halton Region, Canada
**This opportunity has been filled and is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
Our client is an entrepreneurial and innovative organization, committed to positive change, sustainability and building value.
This is a tremendous opportunity offering a flexible, hybrid model, with 2 days/week in the office, competitive compensation, opportunities for career growth, and a collaborative culture.
Job Description – Legal Counsel
Due to ongoing growth, our client seeks a Legal Counsel to join its high performing team. Working closely with the General Counsel, the Legal Counsel will provide legal advice and support to the Legal and HR Teams, as well as various stakeholders.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Support the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to the Legal and HR Team, and at times the Senior Leadership team, and to the organization on a broad range of regulatory and legal areas, directly and in conjunction with external legal counsel.
- Conduct legal research and prepare legal briefs, memoranda and presentations.
- Manage and direct litigation approaches and processes before the courts and tribunals.
- Confer with external counsel and colleagues with specialties in appropriate areas of legal expertise to establish and verify bases for legal proceedings.
- Draft, interpret and/or negotiate contracts, RFP’s, proposals, including the resolving of commercial and strategic impasses.
- Assist with organizing and management of contracts.
- Identify effective solutions to complex problems and align governance, regulatory, compliance and similar functions to strategic drivers.
- Guide and manage compliance matters and the compliance activities of the organization.
- Assist with the organization’s governance framework, ensuring a high level of integrity and efficiency in administration.
- Assist with preparations for Board meetings, preparing and reviewing minutes, notices, and other requirements.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 1-4 years of broad corporate commercial law experience, ideally with experience in privacy and/or real estate law.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with “team player” attitude.
- Self-starter willing to take initiative and roll-up their sleeves to get tasks done.
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy, as well as the ability to balance multiple priorities within deadlines.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Bilingual in English/French is an asset.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: