Conduct Counsel in Calgary, Canada
The Law Society of Alberta is the self-governing body for Alberta’s lawyers with a mandate to regulate the profession in the public interest. As a regulator, the Law Society sets standards and enforces those standards for Alberta lawyers.
If you are guided by a passion to protect the public interest and preserve the fundamental principles of justice, the Conduct Counsel position at the Law Society of Alberta will appeal to you.
Job Description – Conduct Counsel
Due to ongoing growth, the Law Society of Alberta is seeking a Conduct Counsel to join its Conduct Department. The Department provides a comprehensive complaint resolution system, responding to complaints about lawyers that may come from public, members, financial institutions, or businesses. As a key member of the Conduct team, the Conduct Counsel will review, analyze, summarize, and process complaints; communicate with complainants and lawyers throughout the process; and present recommendations to the Conduct Committee Panels as required by the Legal Profession Act.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Address complex legal issues and make decisions that impact the careers of lawyers.
- Oversee assigned complaints and communicate with complainants, lawyers, and relevant internal and external entities.
- At each stage of the complaints process, assess risk and develop risk management strategies, seeking input from other departments as necessary to ensure a coordinated Law Society response. Steps may include directing an investigation, referring a matter to Practice Review, and/or making an application that a lawyer be suspended on an interim basis.
- Analyze each assigned file to ascertain potential areas of misconduct, frame potential citations where appropriate, and obtain evidence and information. Provide legal advice to investigators including assessment and sufficiency of evidence.
- Prepare for and attend Court for production orders.
- Prepare for and attend Single Bencher hearings, Resignation hearings, and other applications/hearings that arise during the complaints process.
- Apply legal analysis and judgment to evaluate the conduct of the lawyer as it relates to the Act, the Rules of the Law Society, or the Code of Conduct, specifically to determine whether the threshold test has been met. As necessary, either prepare a dismissal letter to explain the decision to dismiss to the complainant; or prepare a memorandum to the Conduct Committee outlining the basis for the legal opinion that the threshold test has been met and recommending next steps in the discipline process.
- Present legal opinions and recommendations to Conduct Committee Panels, answer any questions, and provide legal advice regarding potential actions.
- Policy work on guidelines, protocols and rules that relate to the complaints process.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience at the bar with significant client exposure in broad areas of law.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity, sound judgement and analytical skills, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills, the ability to work effectively as part of a dynamic team, and strong time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize workloads, work under pressure, and adhere to strict deadlines.
- A background in litigation and/or training in mediation would be considered an asset.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Sameera Sereda, Managing Partner
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.