Legal Counsel Lawyer Job in Calgary, Canada
**This opportunity has been filled and is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
The Market Surveillance Administrator (MSA) is a public agency that protects and promotes the fair, efficient, and openly competitive operation of Alberta’s electricity and retail natural gas markets. The MSA monitors the performance of Alberta’s electricity and natural gas markets to ensure that market participants comply with all applicable electricity and natural gas legislation, the Alberta Reliability Standards, and the Independent System Operator’s rules.
The powers and authority of the MSA are set out in the Alberta Utilities Commission Act and related regulations. The work of the MSA is done by a small group of highly trained analysts, economists, legal, and administrative staff. The Administrator leads the MSA and is appointed for a fixed term by the Minister of Energy.
Offering a competitive compensation package, this is an exciting opportunity for a driven and talented lawyer to take on interesting and meaningful work, join a collegial team, and obtain autonomy over their role and grow their career over the long term.
Job Description – Legal Counsel Lawyer
Due to ongoing growth, MSA is seeking a Legal Counsel to join its team in Calgary. Reporting to the General Counsel, the Legal Counsel plays a key internal role by contributing strategic legal advice and services as an integral member of the MSA team. Looking outward, legal advice and service is a key component of the delivery of the MSA mandate, including monitoring, compliance and enforcement of market participant industry behavior, compliance with Alberta’s market rules and electric reliability standards, developing guideline and conducting investigations that may lead to enforcement action before the Alberta Utilities Commission.
The ideal candidate will have five to ten years of experience in economic regulatory process and procedure, the energy sector, and the relevant legal framework in Alberta and Canada. Experience in the electricity industry and the regulatory environment in Alberta would be a distinct advantage. Strong listening, analytical, and writing skills are required. Success in this position require the ability to work efficiently, collegially, and effectively with your colleagues at the MSA, industry personnel, including counsel, external counsel, and outside experts. Also critical is the ability to engage on a constructive and knowledgeable basis with market participants, government, industry agencies within Alberta and in other jurisdictions, and other stakeholders.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain a valued and respected team member role as a key resource for advice and services within the MSA.
- Provide timely and practical legal advice to support fair and responsible monitoring, investigative, and enforcement MSA activities.
- Advise with respect to submissions to the Alberta Utilities Commission and other reports and postings of the MSA.
- Provide timely and practical legal advice and services to ensure the MSA’s compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and government policies.
- Participate in enhancing the form and manner of how the MSA carries out its mandate.
- Communicate and report to executive team, as required.
- Interact with industry market participants, and other stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Liaise with other legal counsel in the electricity industry, as required, including those of the Government of Alberta, Alberta Utilities Commission, other Alberta agencies and market participants.
- Provide assistance with respect to the interpretation of relevant legislation, ISO rules, and Alberta Reliability Standards.
- Instruct outside counsel as required.
- Keep abreast of legislative initiatives, court proceedings, and regulatory proceedings relevant to the mandate of the MSA.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 5-10 years of relevant legal experience in economic regulatory process and procedure, the energy sector, and the relevant legal framework in Alberta and Canada.
- Experience in the electricity industry and the regulatory environment in Alberta would be a distinct advantage.
- Exceptional drafting skills and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collegially with a small team and to provide services on a wide range of issues.
- Sound independent judgment, reasoning, and diplomacy.
- Possess a strong sense of ethics and the ability to handle sensitive information with tact and discretion.
- Ability to work in a multi-task environment with attention to detail.
- Ability to manage changing priorities in a fast-paced environment and ensure deadlines are met.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Jeremiah Hunter, Recruitment Associate
Sameera Sereda, Managing Partner
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.