Legal Manager – Employment Lawyer Job in Vancouver, Canada
Newmont Goldcorp is the world’s leading gold company and producer of copper, silver, zinc, and lead. The Company’sworld-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, SouthAmerica, Australia and Africa. Newmont Goldcorp is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont Goldcorp was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
Job Description – Legal Manager – Employment Lawyer
Newmont Goldcorp has an immediate opening for a Legal Manager – Employment to join its North American regional office in Vancouver. Reporting to the Regional Vice President Legal, North America, the Legal Manager – Employment will provide general employment and labour advice, ex pat/global mobility legal advice, compensation and benefits legal advice, and manage employment-related litigation/dispute resolution.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a business-minded lawyer to join the world’s leading gold business renowned for its strong commitment to zero harm, inclusion and diversity, and industry-leading environmental, social, and governance performance. Newmont Goldcorp offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, opportunities for career progression, and a close-knit work culture.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Deliver strategic advice to labour relations and human resources partners in Ontario, British Columbia and Yukon on a wide range of day-to-day labour and employment issues, including collective agreement interpretation, discipline and termination, privacy, OH&S obligations, workplace safety and insurance, and related statutory obligations.
- Provide employment law support of investigations conducted within North America.
- Attend as a business representative at various labour and employment hearings, mediations and/or other proceedings as required.
- Draft, review and revise a variety of labour and employment-related documents including employment agreements and policies.
- Support the development/refinement of regional human resources policies and procedures.
- Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically; proactively identify potential legal issues and develop and implement creative and practical solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks.
- Create relationship of trust and respect with key stakeholders.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes and be attuned to legal and business trends that could impact the business and proactively and effectively communicate this information to key stakeholders.
- Initiate and provide training sessions for the business to ensure a common and well-informed approach to all aspects of human resources management, as well as compliance with statutory and common law obligations.
- Travel to and from mines to meet with operating personnel to discuss key legal matters.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 5-10 years of employment & labour law experience at a top-tier firm or company.
- Strong analytical skills and business acumen, exceptional communication skills, and a proven track record of engaging and sustaining relationships with various stakeholders.
- Experience in resource extraction law (mining or oil & gas) would be considered an asset.
This is an exclusive search.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: