Legal Manager – Commercial Lawyer Job in Vancouver, Canada
**This opportunity is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
Newmont Goldcorp is the world’s leading gold company and producer of copper, silver, zinc, and lead. The Company’sworld-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, SouthAmerica, Australia and Africa. Newmont Goldcorp is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont Goldcorp was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
Job Description – Legal Manager – Commercial Lawyer
Newmont Goldcorp has an immediate opening for a Legal Manager – Commercial to join its North American regional office in Vancouver. Reporting to the Regional Vice President Legal, North America, the Legal Manager – Commercial will provide legal advice, guidance, analysis, and support on a broad range of areas, including commercial contracts, environmental and permitting, local stakeholder disputes, and M&A.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a business-minded lawyer to join the world’s leading gold business renowned for its strong commitment to zero harm, inclusion and diversity, and industry-leading environmental, social, and governance performance. Newmont Goldcorp offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, opportunities for career progression, and a close-knit work culture.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide legal counsel and advice to mine site management teams relating to matters within the Provinces of Ontario, British Columbia and Yukon.
- Negotiate, draft, and interpret complex agreements.
- Support commercial negotiations and manage existing stakeholder relationships and projects.
- Provide legal advice to internal stakeholders in order to support the business in achieving its objectives, mitigate risk, and ensure compliance.
- Support securities law, joint venture development/management, or merger & acquisition matters within the NorthAmerica region.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes and be attuned to legal and business trends that could impact the business and proactively and effectively communicate this information to key stakeholders.
- Actively manage the company’s exposure to various legal and business risks through daily advice to business clients.
- Ensure and enforce all departments’ adherence to company contracting standards and procedures, including but not limited to regular training rollouts.
- Serve as internal resource on legal claims and disputes relating to commercial arrangements.
- Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically; proactively identify potential legal issues and develop and implement creative and practical solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks.
- Travel to and from mines to meet with operating personnel to discuss key legal matters.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 5-10 years of corporate commercial law experience at a top-tier firm or company.
- Strong analytical skills and business acumen, exceptional communication skills, and a proven track record of engaging and sustaining relationships with various stakeholders.
- Experience in resource extraction law (mining or oil & gas) would be considered an asset.
This is an exclusive search.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Chaaya R. Jugdeb, Recruitment Associate
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.