Senior Legal Counsel in Calgary, Canada
**This opportunity has been filled and is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
Gran Tierra Energy Inc. (GTE: NYSE) together with its subsidiaries (“Gran Tierra”) is a publicly listed, independent international exploration and production company with onshore oil production currently focused in Colombia and Ecuador with operational offices in Bogota and Quito.
Gran Tierra believes in creating value for all of its stakeholders through oil and gas exploration and production, capitalizing on the global operating experience of its team. Gran Tierra is building a record of success in Colombia and Ecuador in a transparent, safe, secure, and responsible way.
This is an incredible opportunity for a talented lawyer to join an international oil and gas company at an exciting point in its history and work alongside a driven executive management team and a myriad of corporate groups in its Calgary offices with a strong international legal team.
Job Description – Senior Legal Counsel
Gran Tierra seeks a Senior Legal Counsel to join its legal department in Calgary. Gran Tierra’s legal department supports all of Gran Tierra corporate needs and is responsible for, among other things, corporate governance, corporate secretarial, finance, securities, international procurement, and acquisition and divestiture activities.
Reporting to the Vice President Legal & Business Development and Corporate Secretary the Senior Legal Counsel will work to promote the company’s interests, manage legal risk, manage financial and other transactions, and ensure ongoing compliance with securities requirements of a Delaware incorporated company listed on the NYSE American, TSX and London stock exchanges.
The Senior Legal Counsel will have the benefit of working alongside a high performing legal department in Bogota which supports its operations in Colombia and Ecuador and will at times be expected to interact with the Bogota legal team to help resolve complex legal issues associated with its exploration and production operations.
The successful candidate must have a strong commercial legal background. A strong background in corporate and securities matters for publicly listed companies would be an asset. Success in this role requires a strong sense of ownership and independent accountability, strong interpersonal skills to manage legal issues alongside an active and engaged executive management team, and the ability to work collaboratively while managing multiple projects and priorities. Some international travel may be required, and language skills, especially in Spanish, would be an asset to the position.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide timely, practical legal advice for the company’s corporate and operational teams based in Calgary, Bogota, and Quito.
- Take leadership to drive various corporate projects through to conclusion, while working collaboratively with other groups within the company.
- Review, draft, and negotiate contracts; proactively identify risks and potential issues to stakeholders and find appropriate solutions using risk-based decision making.
- Support the Corporate Secretary in supporting the company’s Board of Directors and, in collaboration with an administrative team, assist in the coordination of the company’s Directors’ and Shareholders’ meetings.
- Manage, with the support of an administrative team and external legal counsel, the company’s corporate and securities compliance requirements.
- Manage Calgary based litigation and, with the support of an administrative team and legal counsel located in its operational jurisdictions, manage the company’s litigation reporting requirements
- Working alongside the company’s tax group and with the support of external counsel, manage various tax-based initiatives.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- Minimum 7 years of related legal experience related to the position.
- Strong analytical capability and the ability to comprehend complex business and legal situations.
- A personable, collaborative nature with excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Highly developed legal, drafting, and problem-solving skills.
- Sharp focus on relationship building across the enterprise and delivering legal solutions that facilitate the objectives and strategies of an engaged and active executive leadership team.
- A demonstrated ability to think creatively, broadly, and strategically and a commitment to learning.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.