Senior Manager, Professionalism in Calgary, Canada
The Law Society of Alberta is the self-governing body for Alberta’s lawyers with a mandate to regulate the profession in the public interest. As a regulator, the Law Society sets standards and enforces those standards for Alberta lawyers.
If you are guided by a passion to protect the public interest and preserve the fundamental principles of justice, the Senior Manager, Professionalism position at the Law Society of Alberta will appeal to you.
Job Description – Senior Manager, Professionalism
Due to ongoing growth, the Law Society of Alberta is seeking a Senior Manager, Professionalism to join its team. In alignment with the Law Society’s vision, mission, and strategic plan, the Senior Manager, Professionalism is responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing professionalism programming of the Law Society of Alberta, including early intervention and practice management. Through these programs, the Law Society enhances the support provided to lawyers and ensure that lawyers in Alberta have the resources they need to provide competent legal services to the public.
Success in this position requires excellent leadership, communication, collaboration, analytical, organizational, judgement, and time management skills.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Manage multiple professionalism programs of the Law Society, including early intervention and practice management. This includes:
- setting program goals, monitoring performance, and providing direction.
- assigning work, and directly and indirectly supervising staff and external vendors.
- providing mentorship and guidance to department managers.
- managing budgets.
- identifying and implementing continuous improvement of processes and innovative approaches to professionalism.
- working with board and staff committees to provide advice and assistance for policy matters and individual files.
- providing advice and direction on complex or problematic files.
- ensuring program objectives are met while maintaining effective working relationships with clients and stakeholders.
- developing and continuously evaluating comprehensive risk matrices to assist in assessing needs and appropriate referral of lawyers to resources.
- identifying and collecting relevant data to assist in program development and evaluation.
- developing and delivering educational material and programs dealing with practice management and client management skills.
- communicating and collaborating with other departments including conduct, counsel, investigations, custodianship, practice advisors, trust safety, policy and membership to ensure continuity of processes and regulatory outcomes.
- collaborating with the Federation of Law Societies in understanding and promoting best practices for professionalism.
- Lead special projects and strategic initiatives of the Law Society of Alberta as assigned by the Director, Regulation and Professionalism or the Executive Leadership Team.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 15+ years of practice experience with experience or exposure to a variety of areas of law.
- Proven management experience (regulatory environment would be a asset).
- Excellent attention to detail, while maintaining a big picture perspective.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced professional environment and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Ability to manage, motivate and supervise staff.
- Experience ensuring proper case management and assisting case managers with the evaluation of a regulatory environment is consider an asset.
- Strong interpersonal, listening, written, verbal and analytical skills.
- Self-starter, able to work independently with minimal supervision and consult when appropriate.
- Focused, self-motivated with excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Excellent team player with initiative and commitment.
- Sound understanding of good practice management and client relationship skills.
- Sound understanding of legal ethics and professional responsibility issues.
- Proven track record in leadership, project management, and organizational efficiency.
- A solid reputation for professionalism and competence.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Sameera Sereda, Managing Partner
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.