Claims Counsel Lawyer Job in Calgary, Canada
**This opportunity has been filled and is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
The Alberta Lawyers Indemnity Association (“ALIA”) is the member-funded, non-profit corporation that manages Alberta’s indemnity program for participating lawyers, providing economic and reputational protection to them and compensation to members of the public who have suffered certain financial losses due to the actions of participating lawyers, including professional errors and misappropriation.
ALIA operates as a separate financial entity from the Law Society of Alberta (“LSA”), ALIA’s sole shareholder, which regulates Alberta’s legal profession in the public interest. ALIA is overseen by a board of directors selected for their skills and experience.
This is a unique opportunity for a passionate lawyer seeking a dynamic role with an established organization offering meaningful work and work-life balance.
Job Description – Claims Counsel Lawyer
Reporting to the Claims Manager, the Claims Counsel is expected to investigate, assess, manage, and settle negligence and misappropriation claims made against participating lawyers effectively and efficiently.
The successful candidate will honour and visibly support ALIA’s vision, mission, values, and operating principles and work collaboratively with high performance individuals to make a positive contribution to a results-oriented culture. The ideal candidate will have three to ten years of practice experience. Litigation/insurance defence and/or liability claims experience would be considered an asset.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Honour and visibly support ALIA’s Vision, Mission, Values and Operating Principles.
- Work collaboratively with high performance individuals and make a positive contribution to a high performance, results-orientated culture.
- Function within defined authority limits.
- Retain and oversee independent claims investigators, adjusters, and outside counsel, when appropriate.
- Maintain claim files in accordance with the Claims Manual and update claim data and statistics.
- Respond positively and incorporate improvements highlighted through internal audits and the LEADS Program Reviews.
- Assess and evaluate coverage with reference to policy definitions, conditions, and exclusions.
- Inform subscribers of claims process, management of their file and any coverage issues.
- Negotiate terms of coverage with subscribers and document agreement by letter, non-waiver agreement or reservation of rights letter.
- Provide advice and strategic support to subscribers to prevent and repair claims.
- Develop comprehensive strategies to efficiently resolve claims.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- Minimum 3 years of practice experience.
- Related litigation/insurance defence practice experience and/or liability claims experience is an asset.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of executives, managers, staff, and subject matter experts.
- Superior analytical, problem solving, and critical thinking skills with the ability to assess complex situations and recommend solutions.
- Excellent time management, prioritization, organizational, judgment and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic with attention to detail and a sharp focus on the quantity and quality of work produced.
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without supervision.
- A desire and capability for growth to meet additional requirements added to this position over time.
- Flexible with work hours during peak periods.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: