Litigation Counsel Lawyer Job in Calgary, Canada
**This opportunity has been filled and is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
The Alberta Lawyers Indemnity Association (“ALIA”) is the member-funded, non-profit corporation that manages Alberta’s indemnity program for participating lawyers, providing economic and reputational protection to them and compensation to members of the public who have suffered certain financial losses due to the actions of participating lawyers, including professional errors and misappropriation.
ALIA operates as a separate financial entity from the Law Society of Alberta (“LSA”), ALIA’s sole shareholder, which regulates Alberta’s legal profession in the public interest. ALIA is overseen by a board of directors selected for their skills and experience.
This is an excellent opportunity for a talented litigator seeking a dynamic new role with an established organization offering interesting work, opportunities for growth, and work-life balance.
Job Description – Litigation Counsel Lawyer
ALIA is seeking a Litigation Counsel to join its team. Reporting to the Manager, Litigation Counsel, the Litigation Counsel will not only have hands-on involvement in interesting litigation files but will also play a key role in the development of ALIA’s new in-house Defence Counsel program. While this small in-house Defence Counsel program will not displace ALIA’s use of external defence counsel, it will handle litigation files and grow over time. Success in this position will require aptitude for, and the ability to develop skill and expertise in, insurance and professional liability litigation.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Represent ALIA and Subscribers on claims litigation and repair files of varying complexity, to the extent commensurate with experience, including liability assessment, legal research, litigation strategy, settlement negotiations and court attendances, as well as regular reporting to ALIA’s claims team and Subscribers.
- Maintain productive and effective communications with ALIA’s claims team.
- Identify any conflicts and respond to them with the exercise of professional judgment and a high degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Participate in ALIA’s internal education initiatives.
- Help ALIA maintain a positive relationship with its external counsel and share best practices and helpful information with them.
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives, including identifying potential process improvements to internal procedures.
- Make a positive contribution to a high performance, results-orientated culture
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 1-3 years of practice experience in litigation, preferably with exposure to insurance defence litigation and/or professional liability.
- Experience in drafting pleadings, legal research, preparing written submissions for the Courts, and making court appearances, as well as in preparing for and participating in settlement negotiations.
- Proficiency with legal technology and aptitude for staying current with changing technological requires.
- Experience with alternative dispute resolution.
- Superior time management skills, including the ability to handle multiple case files simultaneously and independently.
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively within a very strong team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written, verbal and listening).
- Ability to exercise good judgment when dealing with complicated issues which may affect the reputation of ALIA, The Law Society of Alberta, and the legal profession.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity and the ability to exercise independent professional judgment.
- Professional, responsive, and positive work attitude is critical.
- Commitment to continuing education and maintaining professional development.
- Desire and capability for growth to meet additional requirements added to this position over time.
- Occasional business travel within Alberta may be required.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: