Senior Legal Counsel (Pensions) in Toronto, Canada
We are working with a growing, successful company operating in the financial services sector. Our client leverages an agile, fast-paced, and innovative environment emphasizing intentional growth with a commitment to making a significant impact in the investment industry and building a versatile and resilient team.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a talented lawyer to join a dynamic, rapidly growing organization offering an entrepreneurial platform, a commitment to diversity and wellness, and opportunities for growth and career development.
Job Description – Senior Legal Counsel (Pensions)
As Senior Legal Counsel, you will report to the General Counsel and serve as a member of the Legal and Governance team.
The ideal candidate will have seven to ten years’ experience including demonstrated working knowledge of the Pension Benefits Act, the Registered Pension Plan regulations made under the Income Tax Act, in and legal risk. Exposure to pension administration matters at a law firm, pension fund or consulting firm is preferred.
This role will be partially based in downtown Toronto with Work-From-Home flexibility (~2 days in office).
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide proactive legal advice and practical solutions to internal business partners: Pension Services, Compliance, Actuarial, Communications, Risk, Engagement and Strategy.
- Conduct legal research and analysis in support of plan interpretation.
- Provide legal support to the implementation of the administration system and data conversion project.
- Support the development of the member communication program by ensuring that the content is accurate and complete.
- Effectively manage the resolution of any disputes from members and participating employers.
- Collaborate with the Engagement and Strategy Team by providing analysis on the integration of new participating employers, as required.
- Under the guidance of the Privacy Officer, support the mitigation of member data privacy risk.
- Monitor emerging legal and regulatory requirements in pension governance matters, administrative law, employment law and privacy law.
- Support the continuous improvement of legal operations in a growing legal department, including knowledge management.
- Assist the General Counsel regarding governance matters, Board of Trustee and Committee meetings and related requirements.
- Work with external legal counsel as required from time to time.
- Promote integration, partnership collaboration across legal, governance, and other business functions.
- Contribute to the organization’s reputation as a respectful employer, partner and participant in the financial sector.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 7-10 years of post-call experience with exposure to pension administration, governance, plan design and dispute resolution.
- High degree of self-motivation and professionalism.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects in a time sensitive manner.
- Excellent relationship building and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- A collaborative approach to understand and respond to organizational needs and partner with various organizational and control functions.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Strong commercial and strategic judgment.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.