Director, Legal Lawyer Job in Langley, Canada
**This opportunity is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
South Mill Champs is a leading North American mushroom producer and supplier. Established after the merger of South Mill Mushrooms of Pennsylvania and Champs Mushrooms of British Columbia, South Mill Champs’ state-of-the-art facility distributes over 110 million pounds of mushrooms each year. From the farms at Kennett Square and British Columbia, and through its distribution centers in Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, and Atlanta, South Mill Champs meets the needs of its customers, bringing fresh, flavorful, and beautifully grown mushrooms all year round, right to their front door.
Job Description – Director, Legal Lawyer
South Mill Champs has an immediate opening for a Director, Legal Lawyer to join its Canadian head office in Langley, BC. Reporting to the CFO, the Director, Legal will provide quality, accurate, and relevant advice on a whole spectrum of legal matters applying to the business and its services and products.
Offering an exceptional compensation package, this is an excellent opportunity for a talented, business-minded lawyer to join an innovative company poised for further growth.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Advise on contract status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated with different deals.
- Review advertising and marketing materials to ensure that they are in compliance with the legal requirements.
- Provide training to the company on legal topics.
- Provide accurate, relevant and timely advice to members of staff on a variety of legal topics that relate to the business sector and the company’s products or services.
- Draft, review, and negotiate various commercial contracts and agreements.
- Work with HR to manage and mitigate legal risks by designing and implementing company policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all laws and regulations that apply to the business.
- Promote legal, compliance and risk management best practice throughout the company.
- Communicate with and managing any third-party bodies such as external counsel or auditors.
- Design and deliver legal training to the business
- Keep up to date on changes to legislations, particularly in relation to laws, rules. and regulations that directly affect the business.
- Liaise with Executive and SLT members of staff.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 8+ years of corporate commercial experience.
- Strong business acumen and initiative.
- Reputation as a strong people leader
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to succinctly explain complex legal and business matters, and a demonstrated track record of effectively working with various business units across all levels of an organization.
- Knowledge of the agriculture business and/or the US Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act (PACA) would be considered any asset.
This is an exclusive search.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: