Director, Legal Services Lawyer Job in Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver Airport Authority is a community-based, not-for-profit organization that manages Vancouver International Airport (YVR). The organization is committed to creating an airport that British Columbia can be proud of: a premier global gateway, local economic generator and community contributor.
Vancouver Airport Authority takes great pride in its work. YVR was voted Best Airport in North America for a record 12th consecutive year by the Skytrax World Airport Awards, as well as received the Skytrax COVID-19 Airport Excellence award, the only airport in Canada to do so. The organization as been recognized as a BC Top Employer for 14 years standing, with high engagement scores, an abundance of learning and development opportunities, and a holistic approach to wellness.
Offering a competitive compensation package and a collegial working environment, this is a tremendous opportunity for a talented lawyer seeking a dynamic legal and business role at an innovative, leading organization committed to their employees and the community they serve.
Job Description – Director, Legal Services Lawyer
Due to ongoing growth, Vancouver Airport Authority is seeking to add a Director of the Legal Services Department. Reporting to the Vice President, Legal, the Director will oversee a team of 8-10 lawyers and support staff that focus on different practice areas and support Vancouver International Airport (“YVR”) across all its departments.
The Director will have conduct of day-to-day management of the department and works closely and collaboratively with executives, management peers and staff across the organization. In addition, the role will be directly involved in more complex matters, such as financings, regulatory matters, land development and government relations matters.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Oversee the day-to-day management of the Legal Services Department, including:
- managing and leading a team of 8-10 individuals (5-6 lawyers plus paralegals and support staff) to provide timely, business minded and practical legal advice.
- working with peers to ensure YVR’s internal departments (including Business Development, Commercial Services, Supply Management, Finance, Operations, IT and HR) are receiving timely and sound legal support from the team.
- managing the legal budget and overseeing external legal counsel to ensure advice is on budget and is value-add to the business.
- occasionally advising on conflicts of interest and various governance matters, including streamlining internal processes.
- Oversee and provide legal and strategic advice on a range of issues, including:
- commercial real estate-related arrangements.
- land use and land development initiatives.
- finance and related matters.
- corporate structuring of major business initiatives.
- groundside, terminal, and airside operations.
- Provide advice on regulatory compliance at federal, provincial, and municipal level.
- Identify and mitigate legal risk for YVR.
- Support the Corporate Secretariat team when matters go to the Board for approval.
- Keep the VP Legal updated and apprised of emerging legal issues and ongoing matters.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- A minimum of 7-15 years of relevant experience at a corporate/commercial law firm or in-house legal department.
- Experience in general corporate law, commercial leasing and/or land development is an asset.
- Demonstrate sound, pragmatic judgment with the ability to problem-solve and critically analyse situations.
- Positive attitude and the desire to lead a close-knit and supportive team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service focused with the ability to develop strong relationships with a variety of internal stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and manage a variety of projects simultaneously and balance conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate legal advice in a clear and practical manner.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative and desire for continuous learning opportunities.
This is an exclusive search.
As one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for the 3rd consecutive year, Vancouver Airport Authority strives for a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities they serve. The organization supports the Employment Equity Act and take measures to ensure fair employment practices and treatment of employees across the organization.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: