Director, Regulation and Professionalism in Calgary, Canada
**This opportunity has been filled and is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
The Law Society of Alberta is the self-governing body for Alberta’s lawyers with a mandate to regulate the profession in the public interest. As a regulator, the Law Society sets standards and enforces those standards for Alberta lawyers.
If you are guided by a passion to protect the public interest and preserve the fundamental principles of justice, the Director, Regulation and Professionalism position at the Law Society of Alberta will appeal to you.
Job Description – Director, Regulation and Professionalism
Due to ongoing growth, the Law Society of Alberta is seeking a Director, Regulation and Professionalism to join its team. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director, the Director, Regulation and Professionalism is responsible for regulatory and professionalism programs including conduct, counsel, early intervention, practice management, investigations, custodianship, unauthorized practice of law, fines, and cost collection. This role is a member of the Executive Leadership Team.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Lead all regulatory and professionalism programs of the Law Society, including counsel, conduct, early intervention, practice management, investigations, unauthorized practice of law, fines and costs collection program, and custodianship. This includes:
- setting program strategy, goals, and business plans.
- monitoring performance and providing direction.
- directly and indirectly supervising staff.
- developing and managing budgets.
- developing and managing staffing plans, including ensuring optimal structure and design of roles and teams.
- managing external counsel.
- working with policy department on related policy work.
- consulting with the Tribunal Office when appropriate.
- providing advice and direction on complex or problematic operational matters or individual files.
- Identify business and legal issues related to regulation and professionalism that pose significant financial, operational, or reputational risk to the Law Society and its subsidiaries. As required, plan and direct programs to mitigate identified Law Society risks and collaborate with Law Society subsidiaries on their risk mitigation strategies and tactics.
- Participate as an active member of the Executive Leadership Team.
- Participate in external boards and committees as required, including involvement in strategic Federation of Law Societies initiatives.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 15+ years of practice experience, and 5+ years of leadership experience in a complex organizational environment.
- Demonstrated experience with applying a strategic business perspective.
- Demonstrated experience with organizational risk identification and mitigation.
- Demonstrated understanding of the regulation of the legal profession.
- Professional yet approachable demeanor with unwavering integrity. Demonstrated track record of maintaining the highest level of ethical and professional standards.
- Thinks progressively and proactively identifies and seizes opportunities.
- Intellectually curious; understands organizational challenges and is a “progressive idea person” committed to excellence and innovation in the workplace.
- Acts as a role model for others, holding self and others accountable for actions and results. Articulates a vision, provides clear direction, sets high performance standards, and contributes to a high-performance culture.
- A good listener. Understands the views of a wide range of stakeholders and works in a collaborative manner to reach consensus. Actively promotes collaboration both within and across teams.
- Capable of establishing a high level of credibility, both internally and externally with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Able to manage a sizable budget. Skilled at optimizing resources and continuously improving services and operations.
- Able to move through the organizational environment and complex situations effectively, sensitively, and with integrity. Politically aware, but not political.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Sameera Sereda, Managing Partner
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.