General Counsel and Corporate Secretary Lawyer Job in Toronto, Canada
**This opportunity has been filled and is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
Evolve Funds is Canada’s fastest-growing investment manager gathering $700 million in assets in just two and a half years. Evolve, aptly named, is building a new and innovative investment platform to deal with the changing Canadian Investment landscape. Specializing in two areas: actively managed ETFs with leading global managers, and thematic index-based ETFs – many of which are the first of their kind in Canada, Evolve’s founding principals are industry veterans with a proven track record of success.
Job Description – General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
As a result of continued growth and success, Evolve is seeking a General Counsel and Corporate Secretary to support the company’s executive team on all legal matters, including investment fund issuance and management and general corporate commercial matters, as well as manage external counsel as needed.
As the ideal candidate, you will have a minimum of five years of investment funds experience, ideally with ETF experience, at a reputable law firm or company. You understand complex business issues and provide innovative solutions, have strong attention to detail, and seek to participate at both strategic and operational levels. You thrive in an entrepreneurial culture with a team of highly motivated and successful professionals.
This is an excellent opportunity for a talented lawyer to join a successful and growing company offering a competitive remuneration package and professional growth. Flexibility with work hours and location are also available, if desired.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Ensuring all firm-level registration and regulatory requirements are being maintained.
- Ensuring all investment fund level regulatory documents are completed and filed according to applicable regulation.
- Developing a framework for bringing certain legal and regulatory activities in-house.
- Directing and overseeing external counsel as required.
- Ensuring external legal advice is sourced in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensuring the company is operating according to legal best practices.
- Monitoring, and advising executive management of relevant changes to securities law.
- Managing legal matters related to corporate transactions and commercial agreements.
- Supporting executive management on matters related to any litigation that may arise.
- Supporting legal matters related to issuance of company stock and relations with corporate investors.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 5 years of experience in the investment funds practice of a recognized law firm, ideally with ETF experience.
- Strong negotiation skills and work ethic, as well as the desire to participate enthusiastically at both strategic and operational levels.
- Capacity to understand complex business issues and seek innovative solutions.
- Relentless attention to detail and compelled to ensure successful completion of business objectives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- High level of professional and personal integrity and demanding of the same in others.
- Strong desire to work in an entrepreneurial culture in a small team of highly motivated professionals.
This is an exclusive search.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Jeremiah Hunter, Recruitment Associate
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.