General Counsel & Director, Information Management Lawyer Job in British Columbia, Canada
**This opportunity has been filled and is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
The British Columbia Lottery Corporation (BCLC) has been providing gambling entertainment to British Columbians since 1985. They are passionate about delivering exceptional experiences and healthy gambling offerings, while generating revenue to give back to the Province. BCLC has been voted a Top 50 employer in British Columbia for 14 years in a row.
Job Description – General Counsel & Director, Information Management
BCLC has an immediate opening for a General Counsel & Director, Information Management to join its team. Reporting to the Vice President, Legal, Compliance, Security, the General Counsel will lead BCLC’s strategic and operational legal initiatives. The role will provide effective counsel on a broad spectrum of legal matters, including but not limited to commercial contracts, regulatory compliance, governance, employment, money laundering, and litigation. The General Counsel will structure and manage BCLC’s legal department, drive new approaches and processes to improve legal and business practices, engage and oversee the work of external counsel, and provide legal and business recommendations to achieve organization objectives while mitigating and/or eliminating legal risk. Additional experience dealing with litigation, employment, or Freedom of Information matters would also be considered an asset. The role may be based out of either BCLC’s Vancouver or Kamloops offices.
As the successful candidate, you will have over eight years of broad corporate commercial experience, with a minimum of five years in a leadership capacity. You must have a pragmatic and business-oriented approach to solving legal issues, a strong reputation as a people leader, and a proven ability to effectively communicate legal advice to a diverse range of stakeholders. Success in this position requires the ability to work autonomously in a dynamic and changing environment, while having a clear team-building spirit and focus.
Offering a competitive flex-benefits package and work-life balance, this is an excellent opportunity for a talented lawyer to join a dynamic and proactive company.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Oversee all operational and strategic legal advice to the organization.
- Engage in complex legal analysis and problem-solving.
- Establish and maintain credibility and trust with the company’s employees, senior management, and Board of Directors, and with a wide range of external stakeholders.
- Provide advice directly, on a confidential basis, to the CEO on strategic legal matters and other matters as determined by the CEO.
- Retaining and manage outside counsel and contribute to strategies for litigation and regulatory proceedings.
- Keep abreast of industry, legislative and regulatory initiatives that may affect BCLC.
- Manage the department responsible for supporting BCLC’s fulfillment of its statutory freedom of information requirements and records management requirements.
- Lead the Legal Services and Information Management team.
- Lead the articling program for BCLC.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 8 – 15 years of corporate/commercial law experience with 5-7 of those in a leadership capacity.
- Ability to communicate professionally to all levels of the organization in writing and in person, in both formal and informal settings.
- Ability to engage stakeholders and maintain positive working relationships.
- Excellent negotiation and mediation skills, particularly when dealing with disputes with or between stakeholders.
- Experience with litigation or litigation management.
- Experience with regulatory and administrative law proceedings.
- Experience with commercial transactions.
- Understanding of gambling law (Criminal Code, Gaming Control Act).
- Understanding of FOIPPA and IMA.
This is an exclusive search.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Chaaya R. Jugdeb, Recruitment Associate
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.