In-House Counsel Lawyer Job in Windsor, Canada
Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority (WDBA) is a not-for-profit Canadian Crown corporation created to deliver the Gordie Howe International Bridge project between Windsor, ON and Detroit, MI through a public-private partnership. The Gordie Howe International Bridge project is a once-in-a-generation undertaking that will service Canada’s most important trade conduit, the Windsor-Detroit Corridor, with the United States. Not only the project will deliver much-needed transportation improvements for international travellers, it will also provide jobs and opportunities for growth to the Windsor-Detroit region, and includes features that make this project truly distinctive.
Job Description – In-House Counsel Lawyer
WDBA has an immediate opening for an In-House Counsel Lawyer to join its team in Windsor, ON. Reporting to the General Counsel, the In-House Counsel will provide legal advice and help manage complex legal matters surrounding major infrastructure projects. Responsibilities include negotiating and drafting contracts and agreements, consulting and advising on the administration of construction projects, and evaluating other disputes, as needed.
Offering a competitive salary and compensation package, this is an excellent opportunity to be a part of history with one of North America’s largest infrastructure projects. Relocation assistance will be provided, if required.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide expert advice and help manage complex legal matters surrounding major infrastructure procurement projects.
- Negotiate and draft contracts and agreements, consult and advise on the administration of construction projects, and evaluate other disputes, as needed.
- Liaise with external counsel/outsourced legal agencies where appropriate.
- Maintain relations with the legal community and external stakeholders, foster an effective exchange of information, and represent the best interests of WDBA.
- Remain apprised of the management, analysis, and administration of WDBA’s insurance program related to the project, including the management of claims and property damage events.
- Keep apprised of and assist, as needed, with the management of corporate procurement to ensure an uninterrupted supply at optimal cost, in accordance with procurement strategies, policies and guidelines, including reporting on projects, etc.
- Assist with oversight of the US Property Acquisition in the completion of various condemnation and other land acquisition cases.
- Provide input to the department’s budget.
- Assist with handling the assessment and resolution of claims on construction contracts, as necessary.
- Perform other duties, as required.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 5+ years of broad corporate commercial experience, preferably within the infrastructure/P3 or construction sectors.
- Sound professional judgement and initiative.
- Strong political awareness and sensitivity.
- Experience leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Proven track record of building consensus and driving outcomes with diverse stakeholders.
- Experience in transactional law would be considered an asset.
This is an exclusive search.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: