Legal Counsel, Commercial & Procurement Lawyer in Vancouver, Canada
**This opportunity has been filled and is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
Vancouver Airport Authority is a community-based, non-share capitalized private company that manages Vancouver International Airport (YVR). The organization is committed to creating an airport that British Columbia can be proud of: a premier global gateway, local economic generator and community contributor.
Vancouver Airport Authority takes great pride in its work. YVR was voted Best Airport in North America for a record 12th consecutive year by the Skytrax World Airport Awards, as well as received the Skytrax COVID-19 Airport Excellence award, the only airport in Canada to do so. The organization has been recognized as a BC Top Employer for 14 years standing, with high engagement scores, an abundance of learning and development opportunities, and a holistic approach to wellness.
Offering a competitive compensation package and a collegial working environment, this is an excellent opportunity for a talented lawyer seeking a dynamic legal and business role at an innovative, leading organization committed to their employees and the community they serve.
Job Description – Legal Counsel, Commercial & Procurement Lawyer
Due to ongoing growth, Vancouver Airport Authority is seeking to add a Legal Counsel in the Legal Services Department focusing on procurement and construction. Reporting to the Director, Legal Services, the successful candidate will work closely and collaboratively with the Supply Management department, as well as many of business units across the organization in support of YVR’s growth and expansion and its procurement of goods and services during a time of transformational change.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Work with the Supply Management Team to provide advice on procurement of goods and services as they support YVR business units (Passenger Journey, IT, Operations, Maintenance, Security, etc.).
- Work with the Engineering team to provide advice and legal support on all aspects of their construction projects, including preparation of procurement processes.
- Draft, review, and negotiate commercial contracts including services agreements, construction contracts, and procurement contracts.
- Provide business-minded advice on legal matters, including compliance with applicable legislation, internal policies and procedures, and risk management matters, all with a view to advance YVR’s strategic objectives.
- Identify and mitigate legal risk for YVR.
- Work with and oversee the work of the buyers, paralegals and law clerks.
- Work with the Airport’s legal team, including other legal counsel, paralegals, and clerks on team initiatives corporate structuring of major business initiatives.
- Instruct and oversee external legal counsel.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 4+ years of relevant experience at a corporate/commercial law firm or in-house legal department.
- Experience in procurement, construction and/or P3 work is a strong asset
- Experience in general corporate law, commercial leasing and/or land development is an asset
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and manage a variety of projects simultaneously and balance conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate legal advice in a clear and practical manner.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative and desire for continuous learning opportunities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer-centric focus with the ability to collaborate with and develop strong relationships with a variety of internal stakeholders
- Demonstrate sound, pragmatic judgment with the ability to problem-solve and critically analyze situations.
- Positive attitude and the desire to join a close-knit and supportive team.
This is an exclusive search. This position is open to both Vancouver Airport Authority employees and external candidates. Previous job performance will be taken into consideration for all internal candidates that apply for this position.
Health and safety are at the core of how YVR operates. They are committed to ensuring a safe workplace for their workforce and protecting the health and safety of their employees, passengers, partners and community by taking reasonable, preventative measures to reduce the risks associated with COVID-19. All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a valid exemption is granted for those unable to be vaccinated.
Vancouver Airport Authority strives for a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities it serves. They support the Employment Equity Act and take measures to ensure fair employment practices and treatment of employees across the organization. Applications are welcome from all qualified candidates, including women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify with a designated group(s) to support the team in filling gaps in areas where they can be more diverse. Vancouver Airport Authority is also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at YVR. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact the representative listed below.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Meaghan Loughry, Recruitment Associate
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.