Senior Corporate Counsel, Private Funds Lawyer Job in Canada
**This opportunity has been filled and is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
Our client is a successful Canadian Financial Services company with international operations and a diversified approach to investment and asset management. Our client drives global and regional solutions to meet the needs of individual customers and institutional clients. The company has a long-standing and prosperous history, as well as a growing sustainability portfolio.
This is an excellent opportunity for a commercially minded lawyer to play a key role in a high performing corporate legal team and work directly with upper management on strategic initiatives and structuring of transactions.
Job Description – Senior Corporate Counsel, Private Funds Lawyer
Due to ongoing growth, our client is seeking a Senior Corporate Counsel, Private Funds Lawyer to join its team. Working closely with and reporting to the Senior Vice President Global Corporate Transactions, the Senior Corporate Counsel will be a key member of the corporate legal team, providing practical and timely advice to various client departments and management on a wide variety of business issues and transactions.
Due to the size and scope of the organization, the successful candidate may work out one of the company’s Canadian offices.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Advise senior management on strategic direction relating to alternative investments such as private funds, separately managed accounts, and ownership opportunities.
- Advise on regulatory requirements and restrictions.
- Oversee joint venture management and governance.
- Instruct, oversee, and manage work product from external counsel.
- Perform and supervise legal research relevant to transactional matters.
- Review, draft and advise on agreements ancillary to transactions, including coordinating internal comments and information.
- Draft memos and all ranges of legal documentation necessary in alternative investment transactions.
- Work with domestic and international regulators with respect to compliance, regulatory and corporate governance matters.
- Global transactions advice.
- Advise senior management on other global transactions matters as they arise.
- Contribute as a senior member of the legal team by applying your experience and creative legal skills to develop practical solutions for the businesses.
- Advise on matters affecting the operations of the business and Board governance.
- Advise on a broad range of corporate, securities, and regulatory legal matters arising under applicable legislation.
- Work with domestic and international regulators as needed.
- Contract drafting, interpretation and negotiation.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 7+ years of experience in the areas of corporate, commercial and/or securities law.
- Strong oral communication skills, with the ability to synthesize and present issues with clarity to business leaders of various business and functional areas.
- Excellent judgment, with the ability to identify key issues and provide an independent view to the business team in a clear and practical manner.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with experience resolving complex problems.
- Strong drafting, legal, and written communication skills with a practical solution-oriented approach and the ability to use clear, plain language.
- Self-motivated and a desire to work both independently and in a cooperative team environment.
- Highly focused with attention to detail.
- Superior organizational and time management skills with experience addressing multiple projects at once.
- Experience with private fund structures and transactions.
- Knowledge of the Insurance Companies Act or Bank Act an asset.
This is a unique opportunity to work with Senior Leadership on strategic initiatives and offers competitive compensation.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Meaghan Loughry, Recruitment Associate
416.364.6654 / 604.643.1708
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.