General Counsel Lawyer Job in Ontario, Canada
Our client, Ice River Sustainable Solutions is an award winning and innovative Canadian family-owned beverage company committed to sustainability. Ever evolving and always striving for sustainability, Ice River’s unique manufacturing processes divert over 5 million pounds of plastic away from landfills every year. The company works with other businesses to find creative ways to reuse and recycle plastic bottles. With an unparalleled passion for recycling, Ice River is the first North American beverage company to build their own recycling facility and has been deemed an essential service by the Government.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious lawyer to join a growing organization committed to making a difference for future generations.
Job Description – General Counsel
Due to ongoing growth, Ice River Sustainable Solutions is seeking to add a General Counsel to its team. Reporting to the CEO, the General Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice and support to all aspects of the business. As a trusted advisor, the successful candidate will provide strategic advice on a broad range of legal issues including areas relating to employment law, contract management, acquisitions, legal claims/proceedings, regulatory compliance, and the overall effective governance of the organization.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide legal advice and support to all aspects of business in both Canada and the USA.
- Draft, negotiate, review, and interpret complex commercial agreements, including sales, procurement, property assets, real estate, and acquisitions.
- Liaise with external counsel on trademark and patent registrations.
- Draft, review and provide legal guidance on corporate agreements.
- Partner with internal business clients to develop and execute action plans to resolve issues presented in contract negotiations.
- Provide support with public relations/crisis management matters.
- Advise on legal compliance and risk management.
- Engage and oversee external counsel as required.
- Act as a subject matter expert on relevant laws, regulations, and policies.
- Develop strong relationships with internal contacts, including, but not limited to: Finance, Sales, Operations, Quality, Sustainability, Human Resources, Health Safety and Environment, and Engineering to ensure a high service level and anticipate special needs.
- Identify and help address difficult problems that may not be solved using existing practices and procedures.
- Resolve daily issues and/or escalate with appropriate action to mitigate them.
- Apply expertise and think creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 10+ years of experience gained from a leading law firm or large in-house organization.
- Strong knowledge of corporate and commercial law.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to be a strategic business partner to internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong service-oriented mindset that ensures delivery of efficient, effective, and quality legal advice with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional negotiating and drafting skills.
- Ability to deliver sound and decisive advice in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to build relationships with internal stakeholders.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
416.364.6654 / 604.643.1708