Associate General Counsel in Toronto, Canada
**This opportunity has been filled and is now closed. Please visit our job board to view our current opportunities.**
We are working with a growing, successful company operating in the financial services sector. Our client leverages an agile, fast-paced, and innovative environment emphasizing intentional growth with a commitment to making a significant impact in the investment industry and building a versatile and resilient team.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a talented lawyer to join a dynamic, rapidly growing organization offering an entrepreneurial platform, a commitment to diversity and wellness, and opportunities for growth and career development.
Job Description – Associate General Counsel
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Assistant General Counsel will serve as a trusted advisor to business partners and manage a team of Senior Legal Counsel’s. You will contribute to organizational success by providing accurate and timely legal advice to the investment teams regarding a variety of topics.
You will have a minimum of ten years’ investment funds and asset management/M&A experience, including demonstrated working knowledge of investment management agreements, private placement memoranda, regulation, and M&A. The ideal candidate will have experience practising at a top-tier Toronto and/or international law firm, as well as possess a demonstrated strong commercial judgment and leadership experience in an in-house environment.
This role will be partially based in downtown Toronto with Work-From-Home flexibility (~2 days in office).
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Identify and recommend procedures and practices to protect the organization from undue liability and to assist with risk assessment and control.
- Partner and advise lines of business with sound counsel on transactional and other legal matters.
- Work directly with internal teams and other departments to provide proactive and creative legal and business solutions.
- Manage, coach, and develop team members.
- Act as quality control in the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, legal processes, and repositories of legal knowledge.
- Promote integration, partnership, and collaboration across legal, governance, and other business functions.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 10+ years of post-call experience in relevant corporate commercial and/or securities law.
- Experience in investment management sector a strong asset, including evaluating the legal risk of investment strategies and transactions (different types of fund manager relationships and direct/co-investment transactions).
- High degree of self-motivation and professionalism.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects in a time sensitive manner.
- Excellent relationship building and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- A collaborative approach to understand and respond to organizational needs and partner with various organizational and control functions.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Strong commercial and strategic judgment.
- A desire to be a leader in Responsible Investing, ESG, and climate change.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
416.364.6654 / 604.643.1708