Associate General Counsel, Real Estate Legal Services Job in Vancouver, Canada
Our client, TELUS Corporation, is Canada’s fastest-growing national telecommunications company, with $13.1 billion of annual revenue and 12.9 million customer connections, including 8.8 million wireless subscribers, 1.7 million high-speed Internet subscribers, 1.3 million residential network access lines and 1.1 million TELUS TV customers. TELUS provides a wide range of communication products and services, including wireless, data, internet protocol (IP), voice, television, entertainment, and video.
Job Description – Associate General Counsel, Real Estate Legal Services (contract role)
TELUS is seeking to hire an Associate General Counsel, Real Estate Legal Services for an 18-month maternity leave coverage contract. The Associate General Counsel will provide real estate leadership to senior executives and lead a small and high performing real estate legal team. The role will oversee the legal support for the company’s wireless and wireline real estate footprint, corporate real estate portfolio, and real estate development strategy.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Lead and project manage real estate transactions, including overseeing, providing instructions to, and managing relationships with real estate external counsel; ensure real estate strategies and transactions contribute to the company’s success.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic consultation, and innovative solutions on real estate challenges and opportunities to influence and shape key business decisions.
- Strengthen relationships with key stakeholders by proactively collaborating with client groups and cultivating a deep understanding of their business as a strategic business partner and advisor.
- Mentor and coach legal team members.
- Strive to advance legal and business practices by driving new approaches and process improvements.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 7+ years of commercial real estate experience or familiarity with real estate transactions; strong corporate M&A experience with some prior exposure to real estate matters will also be considered.
- A successful track record of managing complex transactions in collaboration with external counsel.
- Strong business acumen, initiative, and creativity; a strong reputation as a people leader; and a proven ability to effectively communicate legal advice to a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Knowledge of or prior experience in the telecommunications or technology industry would be considered an asset.