Education Manager Lawyer Job in Calgary, Canada
The Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education (CPLED) is a non–profit organization that offers the Bar admission program in Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia. To be called to the Bar, students must article and complete CPLED’s Bar admission program, Practice Readiness Education Program (PREP).
CPLED is dedicated to helping students hone their practical skills and assesses how well they are able to apply their legal knowledge and skills in everyday situations. This helps ensure new lawyers are well-equipped to meet the demands of the workplace. CPLED maintains a high standard of programs and services for students to ensure a strong transition into the legal profession.
Job Description – Education Manager
Due to ongoing growth, CPLED seeks to add an Education Manager to its team in Calgary. Reporting to the CEO and serving as a member of the management team, the Education Manager provides direction, advice, support, and analysis with respect to regular/standard educational development and delivery.
Success in this position requires excellent leadership, time management, project management, communication, collaboration, organizational and teamwork skills.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Oversee all education development activities, including the Practice Readiness Education Program (PREP), and include regular review and minor redevelopment of educational programs.
- Facilitate and contribute to the development and execution of innovative education solutions by integrating adult learning best practices and thought leadership into eLearning courses.
- Produce education programs on time and on budget and align and map those programs with the CPLED Competency Framework and associated learning outcomes.
- Develop learning deliverables in various engaging formats (e.g., courses, simulations, games, videos, quizzes, etc.).
- Support program accessibility and course consistency.
- Assign work and supervise staff and external vendors.
- Source and recruit subject matter expert (SMEs) as required for content development and review.
- Provide oversight and support to content developers, SMEs and instructional designers to ensure timelines are met.
- Develop training programs for SMEs, facilitators, assessors and evaluate training outcomes based on Key Performance indicators (KPIs).
- Work collaboratively with Indigenous Advisory Groups and similar in development and revision of TRC related content.
- Promote education programs to various audiences (e.g. students, post-secondary faculty and others, as required).
- Create, support, and maintain a supportive learning environment within CPLED characterized by high professional and ethical standards, customer focus, a positive service attitude and a focus on CPLED strategies and objectives.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Education Team including but not limited to supervision of all Education staff, performance reviews, scheduling and approval of vacation and flex time.
- Obtain training in D2L requirement and become the go-forward trainer for putting content in appropriate format (e.g. Word template/format) for D2L.
- Work collaboratively with CPLED D2L Support/LMS on technical development and identifying and making minor changes/revisions.
- Follow and ensure other staff and external content developers utilize technology-specific requirements (HTML, D2L templates/formats, etc.).
- Work collaboratively with graphic design and video producers to create an impactful learning experience based on an approved development plan.
- Monitor and report on the educational development progress and any issues on a regular and timely basis to CEO.
- Work collaboratively with CPLED programs team to ensure alignment of educational program goals and operational needs.
- Actively participate in business planning and major business decisions.
- implement, maintain, and strengthen performance measurement analysis and performance management.
- Manage all staff of the Education Team.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 7+ years of progressively responsible post call experience.
- 5+ years of leadership and/or project management experience
- Significant experience and strong understanding of project management principals and methods is considered an asset.
- Strong team building, organizational, communication, and leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to gain consensus.
- Creative and strategic thinker with ability to intuitively solve problems.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in developing education and training programs for professionals.
- Experience working with Boards and working at the senior management level.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Travel may be required from time to time.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact: